Location: Eastern Africa, west of Kenya, east of the Democratic Republic of the Congo
Size: 91,111 square miles; slightly smaller than Oregon
Population: 34,612,250 (July 2011 est.)
Terrain: mostly plateau with rim of mountains
Climate: tropical; generally rainy with two dry seasons (December to February, June to August); semiarid in northeast
Flag symbolism: The black stripes symbolize the African people. The yellow stands for sunshine and vitality. Red symbolizes the African brotherhood. The red-crested crane is the national symbol. It was the military badge of Ugandan soldiers under the United Kingdom.
National Anthem – lyrics in English
Information and pictures retrieved from https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/ug.html
Check out The World Factbook on www.cia.gov for more information!
Lesson Plan Ideas for Geography of Uganda:
- Check it out on Google Earth!
- Distribute copies of the map of Africa. Have students locate, label, and color the country of Uganda. Have them mark the capital with a star and label it.
- Students can create a brochure of Uganda, which should include information such as location, population, terrain, climate, size, flag, etc.
- Students can listen to the National Anthem
- Have students create a poster that includes the flag of Uganda as well as what the symbols and colors mean.
- Check out more information online