Many children in AFCA programs are either unable to attend school due to lack of fees or uniforms or they lack basic supplies, such as books. Since we know that education is a necessity if we want the children to have an opportunity to good jobs in the future, we encourage them to attend by providing them with what they need.
AFCA helps children who find it difficult to stay in school in the following ways:
- Pay for school fees, uniforms and books for some children in our programs.
- School supplies – erasers, pens, pencils, notebooks, file folders, scissors, and glue – are sent to students.
- Boxes of teaching supplies are sent to partner schools, helping the schools with much-needed items, such as maps, art supplies, room decorations, science equipment, etc.
- We keep girls in school by providing reusable sanitary pad kits for them. Not only do we donate these kits, but we also conduct trainings and teach older girls and women how to make the kits so they can start small businesses.
- We provide books for small school libraries and early learning centers.
- We donate requested school furniture for Early Learning Centers and other schools in areas where we work.
If you’d like to give children the opportunity to go and stay in school, you can create a fundraiser and encourage friends to join you in providing an education for children. Or, you could make a donation, whether it is needed supplies or a monetary donation, which we will convert into school or library books. Either way, we are grateful that you care about this issue! Some of the items we need include:
- Rulers with metric
- Scissors (for teachers and for students – not the rounded tips)
- 70-page notebooks
- Crayons (box of 24)
- Tempera paints
- Glue sticks
- World maps
All donations should be sent to: AFCA, 1520 Greening Lane, Harrisburg, PA 17110