Common Animals in Uganda
(hyperlinked animals have information and pictures provided)
- Endangered mountain gorilla
- black rhinoceroses
Lesson Plan Ideas for Animals in Uganda:
Quick and Easy:
- Have the students gather around as you read the information about each animal – show the pictures to them. Allow for discussion.
- Have students write about the pictures they see. (English Connection – here you will find a worksheet for students to write about what they see)
- Encourage students to learn more about the animals by getting books from the library.
- Check out some fun websites that have more photos and/or video of the animals found in Uganda
- http://www.africaguide.com/wildlife/index.htm (pictures and information about animals found in Africa can be found at this site)
- http://www.outtoafrica.nl — Click on English version and then choose from animals listed on the left sidebar. Videos and pictures of animals are also available.
- http://kids.nationalgeographic.com/kids/animals/creaturefeature/ Fun facts and pictures of animals
- Have students research the other animals that are listed as common in the country but do not have a fact sheet attached.
- Animal Report (Here you will find a one-page worksheet for students outlining some basics of animal research)
- Individually or as small groups, have students write a report on the animal they are researching.
- Individually or as small groups, have students create a poster of the animal.
- Allow students to present their report and/or poster to the class.