family meal: ugali, chapatis, or rice along with vegetables; maybe a meat or fish stew if they can afford it.
fresh fruits: bananas, mangoes, papayas, pineapples, etc.
festive meal: nyama choma (roast meat, or barbecue)
common snacks: samosas, mandazis, peanuts, piece of roasted corn
Lesson Plan Ideas for Kenyan Food:
- Print out the recipe for ugali and mandazis. Read to the students what is in it and how it is made.
- Have students try the different fruits (especially mango and papaya). Take a vote of their favorite Kenyan fruit (create a bar graph of the results).
- Make one or more of the foods and allow each student to taste it.
- If you are able to make it together as a class, this is a great math connection as well.
- Send home a request for parents to volunteer to make some of these foods.