staples: cassava, corn, and rice
- Fufu, sticky dough-like dish made of cassava flour. This is a staple dish much like rice or potatoes. Various recipes exist.
- most people eat 2 meals a day — noon and early evening meals are usually a starchy stew served with vegetables and spices
- dried and smoked fish are eaten more often than poultry
- Moambé — popular chicken dish
- malnutrition is common in the DRC
(Willis, Terri. Democratic Republic of the Congo: Enchantment of the World. New York, NY: Children’s Press, 2004.)