- New Year’s Day — January 1
- Easter — March or April
- Labor Day — May 1
- Independence Day — June 30
- Parents’ Day — August 1
- Christmas — December 25
(Willis, Terri. Democratic Republic of the Congo: Enchantment of the World. New York, NY: Children’s Press, 2004.)
Lesson Plan Ideas for Congolese Holidays
- What are some holidays that are unique to our country? How are these similar to / different than the holidays of Congo?
- Read the speech written for their Independence Day – first celebrated in 1960. Compare it to our Independence Day.
- Have a class party where you “celebrate” one or more of these holidays!