- official language: English
- Shona — only language spoken in the area that is now Zimbabwe until the Ndebele arrived in the early 1800s — 66% of Zimbabweans speak Shona
- Ndebele — spoken by 20%
(Rogers, Barbara R and Rogers, Stillman D. Zimbabwe. New York, NY: Children’s Press, 2002.)
Zimbabwe Language Lesson Plan Ideas
- Teach one or two new Shona words or phrases using the English/Shona chart. Each day, continue to review the words already taught.
- Have students complete the Shona word search puzzle – for an extra challenge, have them write the English word next to the Shona word.
- Encourage your students to teach the new words to their friends and family.
- Have students start using some of the words throughout the day.