AFCA works diligently with our host country partners to keep your VWP fees as reasonable as possible while providing a comfortable, safe and interesting volunteer experience. Your fees cover the majority of your expenses while in-country so that there is no burden on the local host partner organization. Included are the following:
- Food (except alcoholic drinks and personal snacks)
- Sleeping accommodations
- In-country transportation, to and from the airport as well as to the project worksite
- Donation to the host partner, to be used to further their programs as well as to purchase supplies and materials for our specific project, if needed.
- Local cultural activities
- Administrative fees for AFCA and some team leader costs.
The trip fees do not include:
- Airfare from your home to the host country
- Accommodations before or after the official trip dates
- Medical and/or emergency evacuation insurance
- Trip cancellation insurance;
- R&R activities beyond those indicated in the schedule, and visa and exit fees (not applicable for all destinations)
- Incidental personal expenses
NOTE: A $300 non-refundable deposit is required to hold your spot on the team, and all fees must be paid in full 45 days prior to departure.
If you do not have the financial means to pay the whole amount of the trip fees yourself, don’t let that discourage you. Many team members raise all or a portion of their fees through donations from family and friends. If you do plan to fundraise, start as soon as possible so that you are able to meet the payment deadline.
Even if you have the financial means to pay the entire cost yourself, we strongly encourage individuals to fundraise for their trips. Any funds raised in excess of the trip fees can be designated to go to our local partners or to AFCA. Fundraising also helps raise awareness of the mission of AFCA and its partners.