Steps to successfully fundraise
- Make a list of everyone you know - friends, family, co-workers, professors, wedding guests, spouses/significant other's family, people you do regular business with—dentists, doctors, gas stations, stores you regularly frequent, coffee shops, insurance agents, bakeries, brokers, gyms, anyone.
- Prioritize your list - put the people you know best first. Remember, people give to people. By asking the people you know best first, you will have success and it will make you more confident in asking those you know less well.
- Set personal goals for fundraising. Most people commit to raise at least the amount of money to give one child the life-saving medicine they need for a whole year plus the registration fee: $360 + $25. But, please…raise as much as you can since every dollar gives a child another day of life.
- Download the sample letter, pledge form, and press release to give you ideas to get started with asking people to sponsor you. Personalize the letter, pledge form and press release to increase impact and responses.
- Start asking for support. Be specific. People like to know what is expected of them. Tell them what you are doing and why. Then invite them to give to your cause. If you know someone can only give $5.00 then ask them for $5.00. If someone can give $50, ask them for $50. By asking for a specific amount, you will be more effective.
If you are mailing letters to potential sponsors, consider including a return self-addressed envelope.
If you'd like to create an online fundraising page, go to AFCA's Crowdrise fundraising page where you can create a personalized fundraising web page for your trip. You can then direct potential donors to your web page where they can learn more about AFCA and your specific trip. This is a GREAT way to get the word out! This is a GREAT way to get the word out!
- Keep good records - Use the record form and make sure you record all donations. When you send the donations to AFCA, make sure you keep a copy of the record form and send a copy with the donations to AFCA. Please do not send cash.
Mail checks and the record form to:
American Foundation for Children with AIDS
6221 Blue Grass Avenue
Harrisburg, PA 17112
- Emphasize charity. American Foundation for Children with AIDS is a 501(c)(3) charitable organization so all donations you receive are tax-deductible to the full extent allowed by law. Make sure that checks are made out to the AFCA and make sure you keep track of cash donations and the donors' addresses so we can send thank you notes.
- Give thanks. It is important for you to personally thank your donors and AFCA will mail a formal thank you to donors.
You are ready to go! Remember, you are asking people to make a difference in the lives of others. Remind them that by giving a dollar a day, less than what they would spend on a cup of coffee, they can save a child’s life.